Singapore’s digital Singpass app is likely to become the more dominant ID used to register and vote in elections over the long-standing physical National Registration Identity Card, which was first issued in May 1966 to all Singaporeans aged 12 years old or above.
The Singpass app will be accepted at polling stations in the upcoming presidential elections, in a move towards a digitalised electoral system.
Voters can still opt to use their physical ID card when casting their vote on 13 September, 2023, however the government is encouraging adoption of the digital identity Singpass app which has greater capabilities to store data securely relating to 4.5 million voters.
Since 2021, the digital identity card has also been approved as a fundamental element to authorising services such as accessing public healthcare data, facilitating transactions and opening bank accounts.
While the Monetary Authority of Singapore has insisted on the use of the Singpass app for all transaction requests and ID proofing purposes, the physical national ID card remains in use as a token of citizenship for many and vital for applications for permanent residence status.
Physical and digital innovations at Identity Week Asia – the time to meet up with 3,000+ industry peers is fast approaching!
Today is the National Day of Singapore too! We’re celebrating by highlighting the innovative identity leaders from this small but mighty country.
- Roland Tan, Assistant Director, GovTech Singapore
- Helen Chua, Singapore Ambassador, Women in Identity
- Allen Sng, Sub-committee Chair, Law Reform Committee
- Kendrick Lee, Director National Identity, GovTech Singapore
- Hannah Lim Ye Fen. Associate Professor, Business Law, Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- Shaowei Ho, Principal Product Manager Trace Together, GovTech Singapore
- Mar Vin Foo, Group Managing Director, SCAVAI Smart Mobility Consultancy
These dynamic and enterprising professionals will represent Singapore and their respective companies at Identity Week Asia 2023!
Register before midnight GMT on Friday to save USD $350 on full conference passes for Identity Week Asia 2023!